Silverlight Media Framework

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Details to come soon, but the Silverlight Media Framework will be an integral part of the Silverlight HVP development project.  A great place to start is on the SMF CodePlex page.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM
Edited Jan 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Does anyone have any information on whether (and when) the SMF project can commit to supporting getting content from Window Media Services (WMS)?

We have tens of thousands of assets in WMV format which are currently being streamed using WMS, and we also make use of WMS for real time broadcasts, which basically prohibits our use of the Silverlight Media Framework for the time being. I've read a few posts describing how people had hacked in support for WMS for binding directly the MediaElement, however this broke a number of the behaviors, such as handling the scrubber or time line ...

Though I continue to keep an eye on the development of the Silverlight HVP, we truly need to have support for connecting to WMS (on-demand and broadcast, WSX and ASX handlers) in the same way the SMF player was designed to support content prepared for Smooth Streaming distribution.

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I cannot speak for the SMF project - maybe somone here can. We can outline an exploration of incorporating a Windows Media Player as a frame in an SLHVP viewer. Some answers may be obvious, but lets keep it thorough and explore each - maybe as someone's task in the project.

- Can we embed a WM player into  a frame?

- Polling - Can the player be polled for position or provide time position to the SLHVP in some other way?

- How can we control the player externally?

- How can we consume "WSX" (server side playlists) and "ASX" (Client side metadata / playlists) as providers for HLSVP orchestration?

- What are the accessibility issues? e.g. closed captioning

- Multicast Issues?

- I am sure I missed some. Anyone?

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Quick update and my 2 cents...

Recently got a reply from krohling from the SMF project indicating they hope to have support for the MediaElement in late January (thanks for reply >krohling http://smf.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=78850&ANCHOR#Post274968).

Though an interesting idea RE>incorporating a Windows Media Player as a frame in an SLHVP viewer
(probably possible through COM access on Windows based system), this is kind of counter productive in terms of providing a Cross Platform solution which is really what I think most of us would like to strive too with our Silverlight Projects.

The embegging, polling, controlling, scripting, and accessibility issues are probably still better implemented through a Native Silverlight application, though I think it would be worth the effort to try and expose the SLHVP API functions through the DOM bridge and Javascript APIs in order to be able to further integrate into other web apps (think interaction with JQuery and other DOM elements on a standard HTML page).

I don't quite remember what the status of WSX was in Silverlight at this point, and multicast should be natively integrated into SL4.

One of the most crucial components I fee is still missing to the native MediaElement in Silverlight is Variable Playback Rate similar to that found in WMP. Specifically the ability to playback media at faster than realtime (2X or fractions in between 1 and 2) while maintaining audible audio (not skipping around at set interval). (don't know if PM at MS are still listening to user suggestions for SL4 features, but if you think this might be useful, please vote at http://silverlight.uservoice.com/forums/4325-runtime-feature-suggestions/suggestions/310709-media-playback-variable-speed-rate?ref=title)